Thanksgiving can be an awkward time for many vegans. A holiday meant to celebrate being thankful has come to be known for eating, more than anything else. Turkey, specifically has become a Thanksgiving dinner staple across America. The day has even been unofficially nicknamed “turkey day”. However, times are changing.
Gradually, people are becoming more conscious about their food choices and more sensitive to the treatment of animals. As a result, people are now seeking out alternative ways to celebrate holidays. Fortunately, there are more and more cruelty-free options each year.
For years, there have been Thanksgiving day “Turkey Trots”. As the vegan movement gains momentum, it is only fitting that we would eventually get a “Tofurky Trot”. This is an amazing annual Thanksgiving event. As its organizers explain, Tofurky Trots are designed to support both the health and vitality of local communities and raise money for local groups supporting plant based diets. If that’s not awesome enough, here are 6 more reasons to attend the next Tofurky Trot.
- Support Some Great Charities– Thanksgiving is a day to remember what we are thankful for. What better way to do that than to give back. The proceeds from the Tofurky Trot are used to support the Gentle Barn and the National Museum of Animals & Society.
- Stay Fit During The Holiday– Most people consume quite a few extra calories during the holidays. A 5k is a great way to burn some of those calories off. The Tofurky Trot is a casual 5k for any level runner (walking or jogging is ok also). That means it’s great for any age and doggies too. I’ve done several 5k before. This was the first time I was able to run the whole time. Maybe I just needed the right motivation 😉
- Free Goodies– After you’ve worked up a sweat, you are rewarded with a variety of treats. The Tofurky Trot provides all participants with free snacks that are vegan, healthy, and delicious. Participants are also given awesome Tofurky Trot t-shirts. If that wasn’t enough, they were even giving out samples of the infamous VeganEgg from Follow Your Heart.
- Awesome Vendors– The last time I attended the Tofurky Trot was in its first year. I’m amazed at how much its grown over the last few years. Not only were there more participants, but there were more vendors and booths. This included Gentle Barn, Follow Your Heart, and The National Museum of Animals & Society among others.
- Contests– One thing that was great to see was just how enthusiastic everyone was. The event was filled with good vibes. Some chose to show their enthusiasm by dressing up for the event. After the run, they held a costumes contest and rewarded the winner with a prize. The winner was an individual dressed as a life-sized Tofurky. Prizes were also given to the fastest runners (including the fastest pup). In addition, there was a raffle with a prize pack given to each winner.
- Support Turkeys– One of the great things about this event is that it helps to raise awareness to the suffering of Turkeys. The Tofurky Trot does a great job of reminding everyone that Turkeys are loving sentient beings. The Gentle Barn brought some of its resident Turkeys for a little meet and greet. It was great to see them getting so much positive attention.
The Tofurky Trot is a great way to spend Thanksgiving morning. Be sure to check out the next event. Get in some exercise, grab some goodies, and spend a little time with some happy healthy turkeys. I completely agree with the organizers that the Tofurky Trot is a great way to enjoy the company of fellow plant eaters and highlight the benefits of plant based diets on this largely carnivorous holiday.