I used to make this dish a lot for my family pre-vegan. I decided it was time to go ahead and veganize it. Turns out that was super simple to do.
Vegan Greek Style Pitas
- 1 package Vegan Ground Meat (such as Smart Ground, Beyond Meat, or Gardein)
- 1/2 Bunch Fresh Basil (chopped)
- 3-4 cloves Fresh Garlic (minced)
- Several Springs of Fresh Thyme (removed from stems)
- 1 package Vegan Feta
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Pita Bread Pockets
- Lettuce (or Kale or Spinach)
- Tomato (sliced)
- Hummus or Tahini as condiments
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet and then add the garlic, basil and thyme. If you are in a pinch you can use high quality dry herbs although it won’t be as flavorful and aromatic. Cook until the garlic just barely starts to brown.
- Add in the vegan ground and cook until heated through. Don’t overcook the ground or it will start to get tough.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn off the heat and then add in the vegan feta. Vegan feta can be found at specialty stores such Whole Foods. If you can’t find it, you can either make fresh vegan feta or sub in another vegan cheese.
- Spoon the finished mixture into the pitas along with lettuce and tomato. They would also be good with cucumber slices, olives etc.
- For condiments you can use hummus or tahini which will also add a little moisture.