This recipe is great for those days when you are looking to indulge. It is easy to make but full of flavor.
Vegan Breakfast Sandwich
- 1 package of Tofu
- 1-2 Tablespoons of Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Garlic or Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- 1 Pack Hash Brown Potatoes
- 4 Pieces Veggie Protein (I used vegan breakfast patties from Gardein)
- 4 Slices Vegan Cheese (I used Chao Tomato Cayenne Slices)
- 4 Whole Grain English Muffins
- Bake the hash browns: Right away you will want to start baking the hash browns since they will take the longest. I usually use frozen hash browns from Whole Food or Trader Joes. The package usually suggests frying them. However, for a healthier options you can also spray them with baking spray and bake them until golden brown.
- Make the Tofu Eggs: Next you will want to make the tofu “egg”. Make sure the tofu is drained and pressed. Cut the tofu into wide rectangular or square slices. Next, heat a flying pan that has been coated with cooking spray. Add in the tofu. Sprinkle the tofu with Nutritional Yeast, Garlic, Turmeric, Salt and Pepper. Adjust the seasoning to taste. The nutritional yeast and turmeric will give the tofu a nice eggy color. Cook until the tofu starts to brown slightly.
- I like to heat up my veggie protein at the same time I’m cooking the tofu scramble. If you are using the breakfast patties, you’ll want to fry them in an lightly oiled pan until they are heated through. If you have more time, they can also be baked.
- Once all of the main ingredients are cooked, you can assemble your sandwich in the Whole Grain English Muffin (which I like to toast). I don’t add in condiments but feel free to use ketchup or whatever else you like.