Vegan Breakfast Burritos
- 1 package of Tofu
- 1-2 Tablespoons of Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Garlic or Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Frozen Hash Brown Potatoes
- Veggie Protein (I use smart life veggie bacon strips)
- Salsa and/or Hot Sauce (to taste)
- Whole Grain Tortilla
- Right away you will want to start baking the hash browns since they will take the longest. I usually use frozen hash browns from Whole Food or Trader Joes. You can also use freshly made breakfast potatoes. Either one will work great. For me a breakfast burrito isn’t a breakfast burrito without potatoes.
- Next you will want to make the tofu scramble. To do this, heat a flying pan that has been coated with cooking spray. Then crumble in the tofu (which has been drained and patted dry). Add the Nutritional Yeast, Garlic, Turmeric, Salt and Pepper. Adjust the seasoning to taste. The nutritional yeast and turmeric will give the tofu a nice eggy color. Cook until the tofu starts to brown slightly.
- I like to heat up my veggie protein at the same time I’m cooking the tofu scramble. If you are using the veggie bacon strips, you’ll want to fry them in an oiled pan until they are your preferred texture. I cook mine a little longer since I like a little bit of crunch. They will also get slightly crunchier once you take them off the heat.
- Once all of the main ingredients are cooked, you can assemble your burrito in the Whole Grain Tortiilas. I’m obsessed with spice so I usually use both salsa and hot sauce. My all time favorite hot sauce is Arizona Peppers Organic Habanero Sauce which you can get from Whole Foods. You can also use vegan sour cream, avocado or vegan cheese as toppings. It’s completely up to you.