Pre-vegan the bf and I enjoyed this filipino dish. I’m excited to say that we have come across this vegan friendly version that is even better. This recipe is from Astig Vegan http://www.astigvegan.com/vegan-bistek-recipe/
Astig Vegan's Vegan Bistek
- frying oil (I suggest mixture of canola and olive oil)
- 1 russet potato, thinly sliced horizontally
- 8 pieces portobello mushrooms, sliced into strips
- 8-10 pieces tofu, thinly sliced and fried
- 1 yellow onion, cut into rings
- 3-6 teaspoons of soy sauce (adjust to taste depending on soy sauce brand)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- dash of freshly cracked pepper
- Add oil to pan and fry the potatoes until crisp.
- Remove the potatoes and season them with salt, pepper, and lemon.
- Add the mushroom to the pan. When tender, add pepper and lemon to taste.
- Add the tofu and onions.
- When onions and mushrooms are tender, put back the potatoes.
- Pour the soy sauce and adjust to taste.
- Mix the ingredients well until flavors marry , adjust the seasoning accordingly.